Wednesday, January 1, 2014

Product Review: Battle for Valhalla Set: Part 2 (The Models)

So, seeing as I don’t have any of the models from the last version of Firestorm Armada, I guess I needed to put some models together so that I could play-test some rules…

The Models:
Dindrenzi Federation:
I started with the Dindrenzi because, honestly, they were on the table after the last photo shoot.  They needed to be done anyway!  ;)

Thraex Frigates
Nice thing about this model: it’s 1 piece!  There were 3 in the box and all I had to do was clean off a little bit of flash (excess resin) around the edges and “carve” off the pour channels on the rear of the model.  I used both a file and a sharp X-Acto knife for this.  Model sits well on the stand and we’re ready to prime!
Cleaning the butt end

Underside after all flash cleaned off

Top View

Total prep time: about 15 minutes for all 3 models

Secutor Cruisers
This is technically a 4 piece model, though one of those pieces is just the flight stand mount point.  All the Cruisers and the Battleships for the Dindenzi used the same piece.  Very little flash to clean off the main hull unit, though I did have to go between the Railgun channels on one Cruiser to clean up some excess resin in one corner. 
Cruiser Bits!

The two engine pods also had a little flash that needed to be cleaned off so they would attach to the hull correctly, but it was all done with a sharp knife.  Once I had the engines cleaned up, they were glued onto the hull with super glue and clamped.  A minute or two later and the assembly was safe to handle.
Looking at the bottom of the hull, it was easy to see where the final piece, the mounting plate, was to go.  Unfortunately, the mounting hole is off to one side, so I had to do a quick “balance” test to decide which way to mount the plate.  In the end, I chose to put the mounting hole forward, the model seemed to sit on the flight stand best that way.
Finished Cruiser

Total assembly time: 30 – 45 minutes for all 3 models

Praetorian Battleship
The “Big” Boy!  This is the most complicated of the ships in the box.  The model comes with a hull piece, a Bridge platform, 2 engine pods, 2 engine exhausts, 2 “Detail” strips and 2 Mounting Plates.
Lotsa Bits!!!

First, I had to clean off the main hull.  Most of the flash was minor at first.  Then I realized that this strange looking “detail” on the upper back hull was in fact the Pour Channel for the resin!  I ended up chopping it off in stages using side cutters and then a sharp knife.  Next, as I was checking the hull from the side, I realized I could see light through some of the detailing.  This turned out to be more flashing; 6 small squarish holes on top and a longer channel on the bottom.  After carving out the flash with a sharp knife, I realized the smaller “Detail” strip fit into the longer channel on the bottom.  I had no idea where it went before then!

Putting the last detail strip on (after the engine pods were done)

Next were the engine pods.  Again, very little flash on them.  They were clearly marked “L” & “R” to help identify which went where.  When I went to test fit the pods, they were a little large for the recessed “socket” they were to fit into.  I basically ran a knife blade at an angle of about 45 degrees along the edge to be mounted towards the Hull until they fit (very little shaving – I barely could see it, but I’m blind anyway).  Once both pods fit, they were glued and clamped for a couple of minutes. 

Cleaning the Engine Pods

While the glue set, I cleaned the flash from the engine exhaust ports and the Bridge platform.  The exhaust ports had a recessed area that they fit into quite well.  The Bridge, I just eye-balled the platform to center it and it all seemed to go together well.  Quick glue and we’re done!

The Finished Battleship

Finally, the mounting plates.  There were 2 to mount, but again, no description how to mount the off-centered plates.  I grabbed the flight base, lined up the holes to where the plates were to go.  We mounted the holes both inwards and that appears to be correct.  This, however, was also a point of frustration for me.  The two mounting plates are on two different levels on the model.  In order to use a 2 – poled flight stand, I’ll need to make custom stand with 2 lengths that won’t be usable with any other model (unless I get a second Praetorian).  Otherwise the model looks good.

The uneven mounting plates

Total prep time: about an hour without modifying the flight stand

The Terran Alliance

Armsmen Frigates
Like the Dindrenzi Frigates, the Terran Frigates are all one piece.  Very little flash to remove.  The Pour Channel was on the nose of the Frigate.  With a sharp knife, the excess was cleaned off very quickly.  Again, the model sat well on the flight stand.

Total prep time: 30 minutes total for all 4 models (I wanted to take my time as this would affect the nose appearance if I rushed).

Teuton Cruisers
Very simple model with only 3 pieces: an Upper Hull, a Lower Hull and a Mounting Plate.  Very little flash on the Lower Hull or the Upper Hull, though the Upper Hull pour channel was very obvious.

Cruiser Parts

 I snipped off the excess with side cutters and then trimmed clean with a knife.  In the photo, you can see 2 circular impressions on both hull pieces.  There’s speculation on the Spartan Forums that these impressions were meant for modelers to use small rare earth magnets so that the hull parts could be swapped for the Heavy Cruiser part.  As I don’t have those parts, I just glued and clamped the 2 hull halves together.

 The Mounting Plate also has an off-set mounting hole for the flight stand.  I found by putting the hole towards the rear the model balanced better on the flight stand.



Total prep time: 30 minutes total for all 3 models

Tyrant Class Battleship
Another nice looking model.  The Tyrant consists of the Main Hull, 2 Engine Pods, 2 “Rudders” and a double-holed Mounting Plate.

Battleship Bits

Very little flash to clean on each of the model parts.  The Engine Pods are marked “L” & “R” in the depressions that the “Rudders” fit.  Once the flash was cleaned, both pods fit easily and were glued, then clamped into place. 

Engine Maintenance

After the glue had set, the “Rudders” were glued on top and the mounting plate was glued on the bottom.  Very quick setup compared to the Praetorian and, more importantly, the Tyrant sits on the flight stand with no further modifications.



Total prep time: about 45 minutes

What’s Next?
I’ll wash all the models before I prime and paint them.  I’ll need to put all he flight stands together and customize one of the stands for the Praetorian’s stand. 

For the Terran fleet, I look at the models and I see all those classic white spaceships from the 70’s.  The Star Wars Imperial Cruisers, Space 1999 Eagles, even the original Battlestar Galactica.  I can’t help but think the Terran models need to be White or Off-White.  To help make the models brighter, I’ll be priming them with white.

For the Praetorians, I’d like something darker, but not too dark.  I’ll start off by priming the models black to help the colours stay dark.  I don’t want to leave the models black as that would be hard to see or photograph under limited or poor light.  I was thinking something like GW’s Tin Bitz or dark bronze metal.

I haven’t mentioned the space station Valhalla in this report.  I haven’t started it yet because I’m concerned that the legs won’t hold the primer or paint properly without some prep work.  The legs are made from a shiny sheet of some sort of poly.  I’ve popped the legs out of the sheet, but want to test the paint on a leg or two before I assemble the model.


Hopefully I’ll have some battle reports for your enjoyment soon.  Meanwhile, Happy New Year!

No comments:

Post a Comment